Classic Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
(makes 9 rolls)
For the dough:
- ¾ cup warm milk
- 2 ¼ teaspoons instant yeast
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- ¼ cup salted butter
- 3 cups bread flour, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter, softened
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dissolve your instant dry yeast in 2 tbsp of milk, and 1 tsp of sugar.
- Warm the milk (microwave for 45 seconds). Place your milk in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add the yeast mix to the milk. Add in sugar, egg, egg yolk and melted butter. Mix until well combined. Then stir in flour and salt with a wooden spoon until a dough begins to form.
- Using a dough hook on stand mixer, knead dough on medium speed for 8 minutes. Dough should form into a nice ball and be slightly sticky.
- Transfer dough ball to a buttered bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a towel. Allow dough to rise for 1 ½ hours.
- Transfer dough to a well-floured surface and roll out into a 14x9 inch rectangle. Spread softened butter over dough, leaving a ¼ inch margin at the far side of the 9inch side of the dough.
4. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle mixture over the buttered dough. Try to tub in the cinnamon sugar as much as you can in the butter.
5. Roll your dough up from the 9-inch side. Seal the bare edges once you reach the end of your roll. Tip: I cut the edges off both sides, and place the cute pieces into a small buttered ramekin instead of throwing them out!
You can cut the edges off and bake them in a small ramekin!
6. Cut into 9 pieces using a serrated knife.
7. Place cinnamon rolls in a greased 9x9 inch baking pan or round 9 inch cake pan. Cover with plastic wrap and a towel and let rise again for 45 minutes.
Before the dough rises
After the dough rises
8. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap and towel and bake cinnamon rolls for 22-25 minutes. Allow them to cool for a few minutes before frosting the.
9. To make the frosting: Using electric mixer, combine cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and fluffy. Spread over cinnamon rolls and serve immediately. Enjoy!